The computerized base unit is linked to the computer automatically by the courseware when needed, and can also be activated via a USB port by the teacher through password-protected software. The computerized base unit contains 32 relays controlled by commands from the student’s computer. Circuit Modifications (CM) and faults are switched in and out automatically by the software.
A message on the student’s computer screen indicates that a CM or fault is activated. In the troubleshooting exercises, faults are also inserted automatically by the computer, thereby freeing the instructor to assist students with individual activities.
The FACET® base units provide voltage supply with protection and conditioning circuitry to run each FACET® board.
Specific features of all FACET® base units include:
- Distributed +15 and -15 V DC, and variable ±10 V DC power to the various circuit training boards. Coarse and fine controls are provided to adjust the variable DC supplies.
- Self-protection against short circuit, reverse voltage, and overcurrent conditions.
- Long-life ZIF connector, with a rotary knob that locks the training board into the base unit. The ZIF connector itself is protected from damage by built-in stops.
- The fingers on the connectors are gold-plated for added durability.
- Included is an accessory kit containing terminal posts, connectors, adapters, and patch cords required to perform experiments on the FACET® training board.